Saturday, January 2, 2010

Best 2009 Genealogy Moment

What was my best genealogy moment in 2009?  

I think it has to be yet another photograph (see previous post) sent by a cousin.  I have been participating on www.findagrave.com for almost 8 years now.  I have created memorials for many of my relatives and have added records and/or pictures of headstones for some of the cemeteries near where I live.  Like many of my fellow genealogists, I am somewhat of a graveyard nut.  

This year,  a cousin saw my memorial for Isaiah Lincoln Dow, my great-great grandfather on my mother's side.  She had added a memorial for Isaiah's mother and father,  Elizabeth Milburn Dow and Oliver Buffum Dow.  She emailed me and told me that she had added Isaiah's parents (my 3rd-great-grandparents) including pictures of their headstones and a picture of Elizabeth herself!  She graciously sent me a copy of the photo.  



On the left is my Elizabeth Milburn Dow and the right is her sister Mary Milburn.  I wonderful photo that I could only have dreamed of having.  And what makes it extra special for me is that I think my mom looks alot like Elizabeth.  I'm not sure she agrees but there you go.    What do you think?





I can't thank Lisa enough.  She created Elizabeth's memorial, added a picture of the headstone, added a picture of Elizabeth and then had the kind and generous idea to email me because she could tell I was a relative.  Aren't cousins great!

To see Elizabeth's memorial,  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29450639

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    We are in the same boat, regarding adding pictures and memorials into FAG. I love that site. I checked the above site, and see it is for Calis, wow, that is way up there. Is that where you are from? I've never gotten a photo tho. The one above is wonderful and so clear. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, cousins are great! My 2nd cousin went to DE visiting her daughter & went above & beyond taking photos of tombstones & houses of my family line that isn't related to her. I live in CA, not in DE anytime soon-- And we're still only "e-mail" cousins! The photos were one of my best moments of 2009.
    Liz
    p.s. yes, your mom looks like her! :) both are pretty.

    ReplyDelete